Tuesday 5 January 2021

Influenced by Raymond Feist and John Flanagan

I recently had to answer to which authors would I compare my work - my new fantasy series for middle grade kids - relating to the tone of the book and the style/genre.

Have to say the style and genre reflects my love of the work of Raymond Feist (one of my favourite authors) and the tone is comparable to the work of John Flanagan (another favourite). 

John Flanagan is an Australian author and the way he writes has an Australian undertone. The characters' attitudes and behaviours are so familiar to me, and I see this coming out in my own writing. I guess that is inevitable, that my characters have comfortable familiarity because written into their journeys are excerpts out of my own life and the lives of those around me.

Interesting that (in my opinion) Raymond Feist also writes like an Australian, so I wonder if he has spent a fair bit of time over here.

If anyone ever came to me and said that my work reminded them of Feist or Flanagan, that would be a massive compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment